This page is out of date, please use our new website https://surgemail.com
Moving SurgeMail to a new system
How do I move SurgeMail to a new
There are two ways of doing this, one is basically copying all
the files to the new machine. The second is by setting up a mirror
and letting SurgeMail mirror itself over to the second machine.
Automatic method, using Mirroring feature
When upgrading hardware or changing operating systems you can use
mirroring to move your installation without disrupting users.
- Install surgemail on the 'new' system
- Setup mirroring settings on both
systems, the existing system will be 'master' the new
system will be 'slave'
- On the master issue the commands:
- tellmail resync_config
- tellmail resync_nwauth
- tellmail resync_mkdir
- tellmail resync
- Carefully check the new system is working and has all
- Move the license key
- Move the users across.
- Stop both servers and swap the master/slave settings so the
new system is the master.
- To ensure aliases are working on the slave copy domuser.dat
from master to slave manually!
Manual method to move SurgeMail
- Install SurgeMail on
- Setup anything you
tailored on the original system (e.g. authent modules)
- Stop SurgeMail on
- tellmail deactivate
on old machine
- Stop SurgeMail on
- Copy surgemail.ini
from old machine to new machine /etc/surgemail.ini or
- (note all other
paths you need are defined in surgemail.ini, particularly
g_home and mailbox_path)
- Copy the SurgeMail
directory, the mail directory and the database over to new
Check surgemail.ini for the paths to copy for the mail directory
The default database is nwauth which will be stored in the
surgemail directory but consists of the files (nwauth.add,
- Check surgemail.ini
and check everything is located correctly. Change all the
paths if necessary
- Chown -R mail files
(if on UNIX) for all mail folders etc...
- Start surgemail on
new machine, check logging in etc
- tellmail activate on
- If you have moved
from one OS to a different OS then you should run the
installer on the new server again so that it places the
correct binaries on the new system.
Merging one or more domains from one SurgeMail server with
- The Vdomain sections for each domain from the old system and
append to surgemail.ini on the new system.
- copy mailbox_path directory tree for each domain from old to
- grep nwauth.add and nwauth.txt for the domain(s) in question,
and append those lines to nwauth.add on the new system.
grep xyz.com nwauth.txt nwauth.add
>nwauth.append (then copy and append that file)
- If you have dlist mailing lists on the old system:
- append dlist/lists.dat from old to new system.
- Copy existing dlist/listname folders and contents from old to
For a large active system you might use rsync or multiple copy
commands to get the two exactly in sync before the changeover (for